SUBMITTED — Mobile’s Abraham A. Mitchell, owner of the Mitchell Brothers company, has been named as a Beta Gamma Sigma 2018 Business Achievement Award winner at the AACSB International Conference and Annual Meeting.
“Nominated by the University of South Alabama’s Beta Gamma Sigma chapter, he received this award due to his leadership excellence and service to the community,” said Dr. Bob G. Wood, dean of USA’s Mitchell College of Business.
The Beta Gamma Sigma Business Achievement Award is presented by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business to honor individuals for significant achievement in business through the traditional corporate route. These achievements may be demonstrated over a career or by a single achievement that has advanced the field of business and contributed to a community and to mankind.
As one example of his decades-long support of the University of South Alabama, Mitchell announced at the University’s 50th anniversary celebration in 2013 the Mitchell-Moulton Scholarship Initiative, a $25 million matching challenge to honor the late President Emeritus V. Gordon Moulton. The MMSI has expanded opportunities for current and future USA students by providing them access to an affordable college education while building the University’s base of scholarship support and propelling USA to a nationally competitive level.
Beta Gamma Sigma chapters are eligible to nominate individuals for the Business Achievement Award based on the following criteria:
Continuing Leadership and Excellence
• Significant accomplishment in business demonstrated through an individual’s position, career progress, leadership, financial/market share results and community impact
• Significant accomplishment in business may be over a career or in the past five to ten years
• Evidence of significant generosity through enhancement of a community or an educational institution
• Evidence of continued and/or further service to humanity beyond the acts of generosity
• Evidence of generosity may be over a career or in the past five to ten years
Business Achievement Award recipients have been a model of ethical business leadership and have exemplified the highest honor and integrity consistent with the ideals of Beta Gamma Sigma.