Police in Mobile have charged a man in connection to the three-year-old murder of Joseph William O’Brien, 48, who was found shot to death in the parking lot of a post office on Springhill Avenue in October 2013.

At the time, the case had an impact across the city because of its apparent random nature, as witnesses at the time said O’Brien was shot while riding his bicycle in the area.

The public’s concern was compounded by the fact that months and eventually years went by without any news of a possible suspect. However, according to the Mobile Police Department, new evidence has recently pointed to 30-year-old Reginald Blevins as a suspect in the case.

Though it’s currently unclear what type of new evidence might have been uncovered, it was enough for a Mobile County grand jury to charge Blevins with murder through a “secret indictment” process in October.

Reginald Blevins, 30 of Prichard, has been charged with murder in the 2013 killing of Joseph William O’Brien.

Reginald Blevins, 30 of Prichard, has been charged with murder in the 2013 killing of Joseph William O’Brien.

Blevins, who lists a Prichard address, was arrested and booked into Mobile Metro Jail Nov. 1, though police have yet to give an indication of a possible motive in O’Brien’s murder.

According to jail records, Blevins has a lengthy criminal history in the Mobile area that spans all the way back to 2002.

In the three years since O’Brien was killed, Blevins has been charged with cocaine possession, domestic violence, discharging a gun into an occupied vehicle, second-degree assault and first-degree robbery.

O’Brien was active in the community and vigils held after his death were attended by hundreds of Mobile residents. A known cyclist who attended Little Flower Catholic Church, O’Brien was a Fourth Degree Member of the Knights of Columbus, and a U.S. Army veteran survived by a wife and three daughters.

Upon the news of Blevins’ arrest on Tuesday, the O’Brien family released the following statement:

“The O’Brien family would like to express our gratitude to the Mobile Police Department for its persistence in working to make an arrest in Joey’s murder. It has been three years since we received the tragic news and we are grateful for those who have surrounded us with love and prayers. Please continue to pray for our family as well as all the families in our community that have fallen victim to violent crime.”