Police have arrested a suspect in a murder that occurred in west Mobile earlier this month as the victim, Samuel Willson III, was leaving his home for work.
On Wednesday, the Mobile Police Department announced an arrest had been made in connection to Wilson’s murder, which occurred just outside his home on Spring Grove West in the early hours of June 6. Wilson was found in his driveway by police and later died in the hospital.
The suspect, 24-year Seth Bowick, was apprehended at a home in Prichard on Wednesday, according to MPD Public Information Officer Cpl. LaDerrick DuBouse. He’s being formally charged with murder and three counts of breaking and entering into a motor vehicle.
So far, Bowick is the only suspect who’s been arrested in connection to Wilson’s murder, but earlier this month, police released a photograph of three persons of interest captured on a home surveillance system in the same area where Wilson was killed.
Investigators initially said they believed Wilson may have encountered someone trying to break into his wife’s car while he was leaving for his job at the Austal shipyard, and DuBose did confirm Wednesday two of Bowick’s breaking and entering charges are related to that vehicle.
DuBose didn’t offer any additional details on the third charge Bowick is facing, but police have said other break-ins were reported in the area that same night. There’s a possibility more suspects could be connected to those break-ins and the murder, but DuBose could not confirm.
Police initially said the three “persons of interest” were sought in connections to the break-ins.
As of 11 a.m., Bowick had not been officially booked into Mobile Metro Jail, but arrest records indicate he’s faced a number of previous charges in Mobile County since 2015.
Some of those charges include domestic violence, criminal mischief, drug possession and carrying a pistol without a permit.
DuBose told reporters that the investigation is still ongoing, and also thanked the public for assisting in the investigation after MPD began releasing information.
“Once we started pushing information out there, we started receiving tips as to a possible suspect,” DuBose said. “Without the public getting involved, it would have made the investigation that much more difficult.”
Earlier this month police offered a $5,000 reward in the case for any helpful information, but at this point, it’s unclear if anyone has come forward to claim it.
This page is available to subscribers. Click here to sign in or get access.
It looks like you are opening this page from the Facebook App. This article needs to be opened in the browser.
iOS: Tap the three dots in the top right, then tap on "Open in Safari".
Android: Tap the Settings icon (it looks like three horizontal lines), then tap App Settings, then toggle the "Open links externally" setting to On (it should turn from gray to blue).