Artist Renee Hoadley’s black light exhibit at Mobile Arts Council is drawing to a close at July’s end. She intends to close out the month on a high note when she delivers a talk on the “sacred geometry” implemented in her work.
Hoadley intends to give a broad overview on the subject and the relationships she sees in everyday life. The general plan the artist relayed will cover “the difference between secular, symbolic and ‘sacred’ geometry; the Cosmic Archetypes of 1–10, as taught by Pythagoras; the Platonic Solids; the Golden Ratio and Fibonacci Sequence; fractals; the Flower of Life and Metatron’s Cube; and how geometry relates to music, religion, nature, physics, chemistry, art, architecture and astronomy.”
The event takes place Saturday, July 30, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m at Mobile Arts Council (318 Dauphin St.) and is free.
For more information call 251-432-9796 or go to mobilearts.org.
JJP hands out awards
It’s apparently the high season for accolades in the Azalea City. The Joe Jefferson Players joined suit in mid-July with their annual Joey Awards ceremony covering the 2015-2016 season.
• Most Outstanding Performance by Male Actors: James Boykin (“Avenue Q”), Bill Watts (“Tartuffe”), Jason McKenzie (“Little Shop of Horrors”), Eric Browne (“A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum”)
• Most Outstanding Performance by Female Actors: Marlee Stevison (“Avenue Q”), Lesley Roberts (“Avenue Q”), Kim McKenzie (“Tartuffe”), Jamie Yerby (“Little Shop of Horrors”)
• Most Outstanding Newcomers: Kip Hayes (“Avenue Q”), Beth Bydalek (“Little Shop of Horrors”)
• Rising Star: Day Peake (“Avenue Q” and “Little Shop of Horrors”)
• YAMMI Award (“You Are Mostly Missed Indeed” given to one player absent that season): Christopher Spencer
• Outstanding Set Design: Jeffrey Williamson (“Avenue Q”)
• Outstanding Costume Design: Ashley Williams (“A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum”)
• Outstanding Choreography: Rebekah Howard Womack (“A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum”)
• Outstanding Musical Direction: Jeff Clearman (“Avenue Q”)
• Sparky Award: David Peeler
• Harris Award (given in appreciation of outstanding contributions in non-acting service): Jason McKenzie
• Board President, Ryan Northrup’s Awards: LUSH, 92ZEW, Jason McKenzie
• Outstanding Production of the Season: “Avenue Q” directed by Eric C. Browne
• Directors’ Awards: Eric C. Browne (“Avenue Q”) to Jeffrey Williamson, Whitney Upton and Jason McKenzie; Amanda Mitchell (“Vanya & Sonia & Masha & Spike”) to Jeffrey Williamson
Timothy Guy (“Tartuffe”) to Ann Sands; Jeffrey Williamson (“Little Shop of Horrors”) to Ann Sands and Ed Kryger; Cory Olson (“A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum”) to Jessica Head, Harvie Jordan, Stephen Dunham and Chris Hill.
Congratulations to all the Joey winners!