In the early morning hours on Nov. 7 a family of six escaped from a house fire that caused $80,000 of damage to the home.
Mobile Fire-Rescue Department responded to 113 Bishop Wilmer Drive, which is near Bishop State Community College on Dauphin Island Parkway. When firefighters arrived on the scene, they saw heavy smoke and fire coming from the home.
Luckily, a 16-year-old female saw the fire in the kitchen and alerted her family before it was too late.
The source of the fire appears to have started in the kitchen, according to MFRP Public Information Officer Steve Huffman.
“According to the adult female occupant, she lit a cigarette from a burner on the stovetop. There was a pan of grease sitting on the stovetop that had been used previously to cook something. The occupant told investigators she couldn’t remember if she turned the burner off or not,” he said in a press release.
“Investigators believe the burner was left on thus heating the grease and causing the fire to occur.”
From the kitchen, the fire spread throughout the dining room, bedroom and into the attic causing the estimated $80,000 damage.
The Bureau of Fire Prevention is investigating and the family is being assisted by the American Red Cross Gulf Coast Chapter.
This page is available to subscribers. Click here to sign in or get access.
It looks like you are opening this page from the Facebook App. This article needs to be opened in the browser.
iOS: Tap the three dots in the top right, then tap on "Open in Safari".
Android: Tap the Settings icon (it looks like three horizontal lines), then tap App Settings, then toggle the "Open links externally" setting to On (it should turn from gray to blue).