Tyler McDonald, M.D.
Photo | Courtesy of USA Health
By Tammy Leytham
Five Star Food Service of Chattanooga, Tenn., has acquired Mobile-based vending operator Gulf Coast Canteen.
The acquisition expands the company’s service territory farther into Alabama and marks its entry into Florida.
“We are honored by the opportunity to establish ourselves in the Mobile and Pensacola markets through this strategic acquisition,” Five Star President and CEO Richard Kennedy said. “Gulf Coast Canteen has great people. We are excited to merge our company cultures and provide top-tier service to the area.”
Gulf Coast Canteen was founded in 1961 as Central Vending and merged with Mobile Vending in 1999, eventually becoming a Canteen franchise in 2001. Owner Greg Breland took over the family business in 2005.
The company’s Ocean Springs, Miss., operation will be acquired by New Orleans-based Refreshments Solutions.
This acquisition marks the 19th acquisition and sixth territory expansion in four years for Five Star as it continues to grow.
“We are excited about the entry into two new geographic markets and the opportunities we have ahead of us to develop the existing base business, add new on top and grow profitably,” Gregory McCall, chief revenue officer for Five Star, said.
Five Star Food Service is a premier away-from-home food and beverage retail solutions provider for employers and other commercial, institutional and educational locations. Five Star is an industry leader in micro-markets, full-line vending, pantry, coffee and water services, full-service dining, catering, fresh food production, coffee roasting, secured delivery, and sustainable products serving nine states.
BUSINESS NEWS, MOVES AND ACQUISITIONS
- Bellator Real Estate & Development has gained six new realtors in its Orange Beach, Beckham Partner and Mobile offices. New agents include Denise Monroe (Beckham Partners), Pat Rowland (Orange Beach), Milton Womack (Orange Beach), Stephen Emmons (Orange Beach), Jackie Skingel (Orange Beach) and Lisa Richey (Mobile). Bellator is a full-service real estate company specializing in developing, listing and marketing real estate in Baldwin and Mobile counties.
- Brookley Aeroplex got a boost with a $5.1 million CARES Act Recovery Assistance Grant to build a multi-use cargo warehouse and hangar facility. The U.S. Economic Development Administration (EDA) grant will be matched with $747,275 in local funds and is expected to create 50 jobs and leverage $1.5 million in private investment. The facility will include a cold storage space capable of holding COVID-19-related materials and allow for the quick distribution and shipment of food products to any location in the country. “This EDA grant is excellent news for not only the Mobile Airport Authority, but also the region,” Mobile Airport Authority President Chris Curry said.
- Austal USA was awarded another U.S. Navy contract — a $144 million, two-ship Towing, Salvage and Rescue Ship (T-ATS) detailed design and construction contract Oct. 5. This marks the first steel new ship construction program for the company. Austal USA will use its ship manufacturing processes and innovative methods that incorporate lean manufacturing principles, modular construction and moving assembly lines, all housed under the company’s new, state-of-the-art, enclosed steel production facility, set to open in April.
- In other shipbuilding news, Theodore-based Silver Ships was awarded an $8 million U.S. Department of Defense contract to design and construct up to 110 Navy 8-meter and 11-meter Surface Support Craft and Coast Guard Special Purpose Craft Law Enforcement Generation II. Work is expected to be completed in August 2023. The contract includes options that, if exercised, could increase the value to more than $51 million.
- TK Escape is now open at 450 Dauphin St., with three escape rooms providing an experience unique to each theme — The Missing Playbook, The Battle at the Fort and The Philosopher’s Stone. Team members must complete objectives through puzzles, games and exploration to aid in a successful escape. It is open 6-11 p.m. Friday, 2-11 p.m. Saturday, and noon-6 p.m. Sunday. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or text 504-323-4518 to learn more.
- Mobile-based Volkert has acquired Georgia-based Kennedy Engineering & Associates Group LLC, a transportation engineering firm focused on planning, design, environmental and CEI services. “We are pleased to bring KEA Group on board,” Volkert CEO David Allsbrook said. “Its geographic footprint and unique service offerings will help us grow our presence in Georgia and Florida.”
- Ascension Providence Breast Center is providing no-cost mammograms throughout October to those who qualify. Mammograms are available to women ages 40-64 who meet the eligibility guidelines for free services, which include: Women who have an income at or below 250 percent of the federal poverty guidelines ($43,550 for a two-person household or $66,250 for a four-person household), and women without insurance or who are underinsured. Call 251-266-2852 or email email@example.com to schedule an appointment.
- The one-day SABRE Analytics Summit 2021 is set Nov. 18 at the MacQueen Alumni Center at the University of South Alabama. Gulf Coast industry leaders, businesses, academia, nonprofits and local governments will come together to learn personal and organizational data analytic skills. Register at southalabama.edu/colleges/mcob/sabre/conference.
- Business Information Solutions is holding an online security webinar, “How to Maintain Company Culture and Mitigate Security Risks While Working From Home,” from noon to 1 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 14. Call 251-405-2555 or visit askbis.com to register.
- Tyler McDonald, M.D., recently joined USA Health as a pediatric orthopaedic surgeon. McDonald, an assistant professor of orthopaedic surgery at the USA College of Medicine, hopes to further his clinical research in pediatric spine health. McDonald earned a medical degree from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas. He completed residency training in orthopaedic surgery at the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson, Miss., and a fellowship in pediatric orthopaedics and scoliosis at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children in Wilmington, Del.
- The Baldwin County real estate market bounced back in September with increases across the board. The Multiple Listing Service reports a year-over-year increase of 78.9 percent in total sales from September 2020, and a 69 percent increase in new listings. Average Days on the Market also continued at record lows of 23 days for the traditional housing market and 25 days for the resort market. The Average Sales Price of $562,875 for the resort market is a 17.3 percent increase over average sales price in September 2020. The traditional market average price was $344,952, a 23.4 percent increase over September 2020.
- Three local businesses were recently honored as Alabama Retailers of the Year by the Alabama Retail Association. Presentations were made to Steve and Alisa Ascik, owners of Eastern Shore Ace Hardware in Spanish Fort, who received the Silver Award in the category of Annual Sales $1 Million to $5 Million; Melissa M. Cross, president of McAleer’s Office Furniture in Mobile, who received the Silver Award for Businesses with Annual Sales More than $5 Million; and Crystal Peavey of Southern Gyp Boutique in Bay Minette, who received the Customer’s Choice Award.
- Looking for a job in the auto industry? Mercedes-Benz U.S. International Inc. will hire several hundred production team members by year’s end. The hires will allow the Bibb County manufacturing operation to meet growing demand, and aligns with the automaker’s strategic growth plans for the Alabama plant to begin producing two electric vehicles in 2022. Workers who have experience in the auto industry and those who have completed manufacturing training programs are encouraged to apply. Starting pay is $20 per hour and includes full benefits. Apply at applymercedes.com.
This page is available to our local subscribers. Click here to join us today and get the latest local news from local reporters written for local readers. The best deal is found by clicking here. Check it out now.
Already a member of the Lagniappe family? Sign in by clicking here