Gamers & Geeks (GNG) has leased a new space in Town West Shopping Center on 5701 Moffett Road in West Mobile and will relocate early next year. The new space is 26,500 square feet, more than four times the size of its current, 5,500-square-foot location.
GNG, which opened in 2012, sells comic books, graphic novels, manga, pop figures, role-playing games, pathfinder, collectibles and accessories. Amber Hightower Dedeaux with Vallas Realty brokered the transaction.
• Dynamic Education Systems Inc. (DESI), a Phoenix-based career training center, executed a five-year lease effective this month for a 3,000-square-foot freestanding building at 3506 Montlimar Plaza Drive in West Mobile. Brandon Broadus and David Dexter with NAI Mobile brokered the transaction.
DESI helps qualified youth and adults receive education, training and job placement assistance to support themselves and their families, working with the U.S. Department of Labor’s Job Corps Program.
• Cottage Hill Baptist Church recently sold a 3,105-square-foot building on a corner lot at 4254 Cottage Hill Road for $195,000. The building formerly housed a Christian counseling center. Michelle Crowe, owner of e-worc web & new media, will relocate her 12 employees into the new office space.
According to Crowe, plans are also in place to develop shared workspace available for lease by outside business tenants. Paul Carter with the Paul Carter Agency handled the transaction for Cottage Hill Baptist Church.
• Marco’s Pizza announced the opening of a new location at Mobile’s new Midtown Center, joining the current lineup of eateries Rock N Roll Sushi, Taco Mama and The Simple Greek. Marco’s has reportedly committed to a 10-year lease in the 1,500-square-foot D-1 space in the new center.
Plans are place to open sometime during the first quarter of 2019. Amber Hightower Dedeaux of Vallas Realty represented the landlord in the transaction and can be contacted regarding limited space available for lease.
• Chic Jolie is leasing some 1,200 square feet of retail space in Vigouroux Shopping Center at 9948 Airport Blvd. in Mobile. Chic Jolie is a European-style women’s retail boutique specializing in clothing, accessories, jewelry and gifts. The store plans to open in January. Angie McArthur, broker associate with Stirling Properties, represented the landlord in the transaction.
MAAR releases September residential housing report
The Mobile Area Association of Realtors (MAAR) recently released numbers covering local area residential housing sales activity for last month. September housing market activity was reported by MAAR as follows:
• 342 properties sold were single family, garden and townhomes, with an average selling price of $167,206 and a median sales price of $140,750, with a total of 1,399 units still on the market.
• 10 properties sold fell under the category of new or existing condos, with an average selling price of $137,130 and a median sales price of $130,300, with 67 units still available on the market.
• 27 new construction home properties moved on the market with an average sales price of $253,813 and a median selling price of $231,900, with 101 units still on the market.
In total, 383 properties were sold in September, with an average selling price of $171,420 and a median sales price of $145,000, with 1,600 properties currently available on the market.
Broken down by price range for September, 91 home sales sold for $99,999 or less, 108 properties sold for $100,000 to $150,000, 84 properties sold for $150,001 to $200,000 and 100 homes sold for $200,001 or more.
“According to market statistics, sales and units sold have remained stable in 2018. We experienced a significant jump from July to August, with a 26 percent increase in units sold and a 31 percent increase in sales. This is particularly interesting when compared to the same time in 2017, where we saw a 23 percent decrease in sales and a notable 31 percent decrease in units sold.” Stephanie White, MAAR CEO, said.
CigarClub.com hires chief marketing officer
Locally owned monthly cigar subscription box company CigarClub.com recently announced the hiring of Shanda Lee as chief marketing officer, completing its C-suite expansion.
With an equity interest in the company, Lee will work remotely from Tampa with the founders and executive management team as the company pursues an aggressive growth plan over the next five years. She will be responsible for leading all marketing and promotion within the company, including interactions with customers as well as suppliers to support other aspects of the business, from advertising and public relations to sales.
Lee is an industry veteran with more than 20 years of experience directing and re-engineering marketing and advertising functions at multiple B2B and B2C companies. Most recently, she served as a marketing consultant for Gurkha Cigar Co. and previously was vice president of marketing for more than a decade at J.C. Newman Cigar Co.
“Shanda officially completes our C-suite expansion and we couldn’t be more thrilled to welcome her to the team,” Jeff Zeiders, Ph.D., co-founder and CEO of CigarClub.com, said. “Her extensive marketing background and vast experience working within the cigar industry brings an imperative set of tools to our executive team.”
In slightly more than two years, CigarClub.com has seen significant growth in the subscription box marketplace for cigars. Co-founder and CTO Chris Yokley spearheaded the creation of a proprietary algorithm that allows customers to receive cigars paired with their particular palate.
“As a cigar enthusiast I was frustrated with the trial and error of purchasing cigars that didn’t fit my flavor profile. We knew there had to be a better way,” Yokely said.
Based in Mobile, the company services the U.S., Canada and parts of Europe. Products are shipped monthly or quarterly in various quantity options. More information about the company can be found on Facebook, Instagram or its website.
This page is available to our local subscribers. Click here to join us today and get the latest local news from local reporters written for local readers. The best deal is found by clicking here. Check it out now.