Just inches from the two defendants accused of murdering Wendy Fisher, Mobile County Assistant District Attorney Jennifer Wright pointed at Trayon Washington and said, “He’s the one who shot and killed Wendy Fisher.” She then pointed her finger even closer to Pat Brown’s face and said, “And he’s the ring leader.”

Washington is accused of shooting Fisher on July 7, 2012 on Racine Avenue from a car that Brown drove.

During closing arguments Jan. 16, prosecutors said the defendants’ constant lying show their guilt. Meanwhile, defense attorneys argued the state has nothing to show Washington and Brown were the ones responsible for Fisher’s death. There were two other people in the car at the time of the shooting and Brown’s attorney Jason Darley painted his client very different from Wright.

“You heard [Anstice White, another person in the car] testify that he didn’t think Pat Brown knew Trayon had a gun. He said, ‘I don’t even think Pat knew Trayon had a gun,'” Darley said. “Pat Brown slowed down that day to do the right thing — to let Wendy Fisher and her dogs pass.”

Likewise, Washington’s attorney Art Powell argued his client was not the triggerman that day.

“You heard testimony the day of the shooting that said the person who shot got out of the back passenger side door on the right. You also heard testimony that Trayon was sitting in the front passenger seat,” Powell said. “Also, Robert Russo (Fisher’s boyfriend) said the shooter was between 150 and 160 pounds. Trayon hasn’t been that weight since sixth grade.”

Earlier in the day, jurors heard testimony from Aloyius and Cindy Janik, a pair of eyewitnesses who arrived on the scene as the parties were arguing. They testified that they had to stop their car on Racine Avenue because Brown’s Nissan was blocking the street. They could tell there was a verbal altercation, but could not hear what was being said. After a minute or two, Brown pulled his car around the Janik’s.

“That’s when I heard popping sounds,” Cindy Janik said. “It was real quick and I turned around and saw a large hand with a gun coming out of the back door behind the drivers door. It was real quick and when I saw the gun I ducked down. The back door was open. I didn’t see anybody stand up.”

Prosecutors allege that Washington, who was riding shotgun, opened his door, leaned over the car and fired three shots, one of which hit Fisher in the chest.  

Cindy Janik, a registered nurse, ran to Fisher’s aid after the car sped away. Her husband, who testified he didn’t see the shooter, called 911.

Powell alleges that White, a backseat passenger, was the actual shooter and backed up his claims by pointing out that he fit the description. Neither White nor Evans are facing charges from the incident.

When Wright finished out the closing arguments, she hinged her case on the fact that the witnesses identifying the shooter or his position did not know each other.

“Robert Russo, Anstice White and Keonte Evans (the fourth person in the car) didn’t know each other. In fact, Keonte didn’t even know Anstice’s name,” Wright said. “Wouldn’t it have been easier for Keonte to say the person he didn’t know did the shooting instead of pointing out his friend Trayon?”

Wright didn’t let Brown off either. She placed the title of “ringleader” on his shoulders.

“If it wasn’t for Pat Brown, none of us would be here today. Wendy Fisher would be here though,” she said. “He’s the one who was speeding through the neighborhood. He’s the one who stopped the car and started the altercation with Wendy. He’s the one who started driving again for just a little and then stopped. That’s when his brother Trayon Washington got out of the car and shot Wendy Fisher.”

Dr. Staci Turner, a medical examiner at the Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences, testified earlier that Fisher died from internal bleeding from a single gunshot wound that fractured her ribs and passed through her right lung and back, leading to rapid internal bleeding.

Both sides asked the jury to use common sense before Judge Michael Youngpeter gave the case to them at 3:45 p.m.  Shortly after 5 p.m., the jury asked to adjourn for the day. Deliberation will resume at 9 a.m. Jan. 17.