Photos | Mobile Parks and Recreation Department
Schools are out and parents are trying to find something for their children to do this summer. Numerous athletic camps are planned across Mobile County.
Here are some that have made their way into the Lagniappe email box. Please be sure to check with your local city and county agencies for other opportunities not listed here. Local colleges may also post more camps at a later date.
City of Mobile
The Parks and Recreation Department opened June 1 for sports team drills and practices. Reservations for parks and pavilions are now available for limited events.
Youth and teen camps start with limited class sizes June 15. Youth baseball and kickball leagues also begin mid-month.
The summer camp programs will run June 15 through July 31. The Youth Camp (ages 5 to 12) will be from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., while the Teen Camp (ages 13 to 18) will be 4-8 p.m.
The Parks and Recreation Department will mandate using hand sanitizer, wearing facemasks when possible and sanitizing equipment between each use. Residents should bring their own water bottles and they should remember to be considerate of others.
Mobile has provided an informative 52-page guide for all the department’s activities for this summer. It can be found at cityofmobile.org.
Spring Hill College
- Spring Hill College (SHC) head coach Chris Leonardi has announced his Summer ID Soccer Camp will be June 12 at Library Field on the Mobile campus. The camp will take place from noon to 5 p.m. for high school boys (rising grades 9-12), giving them a chance to improve their abilities and techniques while gaining insight on NCAA-level coaching.
For $85, participants will take part in a college-style training session and an 11-v-11 game during their day with the Badgers coaching and training staff. The cost also includes a camp shirt.
Preregistration is available and parental consent is required. For more information, visit shcbadgers.com.
- The SHC competitive cheer team has announced its Summer Youth Cheer Camps will be June 21-25 (ages 7-12, $185) and June 28 through July 1 (age 4-6, $160). The camps will be at the Arthur R. Outlaw Recreation Center on the SHC campus.
Hosted by SHC head coach Alyssa Paesano and her competition cheerleaders, young athletes will receive instruction on all elements of cheerleading. Campers will learn a competition-style routine incorporating all of these skills, which they will perform for friends and family on the final day of camp. All skill levels welcome, no experience required.
To register, complete the form at shcbadgers.com for each child attending camp. Be sure to register your child for the appropriate session for their age group. You may call Paesano at 251-380-4008 for more information.
- Head coach Craig Kennedy and the SHC men’s basketball team have announced their Elite Camp will take place July 24 at the Arthur R. Outlaw Recreation Center on the SHC campus.
The camps provide players with a competitive and educational experience that will help prepare them for the next level and teach players the fundamentals at a high rate of speed. Campers will be run through drills designed to develop skills, vision and competency. All drills are specifically geared to prepare each camper for competition at the highest level.
The camp will occur from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and will cost $84.80 for rising high school freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors. Preregistration is available and parental consent is required.
University of South Alabama
- Dates have been announced for the Richie Riley Basketball Camps, with sessions available throughout June and July. The camps will take place in the Mitchell Center on the University of South Alabama (USA) campus.
Two dates have been set for Elite Camp — for boys in the ninth to 12th grades — with the first on Sunday, June 27, followed by a session on Sunday, July 25. Both camps will include activities from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., with all participants receiving an Adidas camp shirt.
There will be an individual camp for boys in the second to eighth grades that is set to run from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., June 28-30. Those who sign up to participate will receive both a camp basketball and a T-shirt.
For more information and to register, visit RichieRileyBasketballCamps.com.
- JO Volleyball Camps, located at USA, will host eight summer camps in July. The entire list of camp dates, age groups and entry fees can be found at usajaguars.com.
All camps will take place in Jaguar Gym, Striplin Center and the USA recreation center — all located on the Mobile campus. Registration can be made online at JOVolleyballCamps.TotalCamps.com. Online payments can be made in multiple installments with a credit card, but a processing fee will be added to all online registrations.
For any questions, contact summer camp administrator Maris Below at 417-763-9017 or send an email to JOVolleyballCamps@gmail.com.
This page is available to our subscribers. Join us right now to get the latest local news from local reporters for local readers.
The best deal is found by clicking here. Click here right now to find out more. Check it out.
Already a member of the Lagniappe family? Sign in by clicking here