In less than 10 days, 2015 has already seen two open-and-shut murder cases in the Mobile area, but even as those investigations are underway, there are still nine unsolved murders from 2014. Altogether, the Mobile Police Department handled 31 homicide cases last year, including the death of Timothy Williams, a missing man who was found dead in December, and David Patrick Kyles, the 29-year-old who law enforcement officials believe was murdered by a police impersonator in October. Both cases remain unsolved.

On Jan. 2, Mobile police responded to what would become the scene of 2015’s first homicide. After receiving a report of a gunshot victim at the 2000 block of Stockton Drive, officers arrived to discover the body of Tracy Clipper, who had died inside the residence from an apparent gunshot wound. The mother of four children was killed by her long-time boyfriend Jeffery Leon Moss, 44, of Mobile. Moss was taken into custody at the scene and is charged with murder.

Jeffery Leon Moss

Jeffery Leon Moss

Later that day, the year’s second death occurred, but whether it will be considered a homicide will be determined by a grand jury. According to authorities, an argument in the parking lot of KFC in Tillman’s corner lead to the fatal shooting of 50 year-old James Naylor.

In a press release last week, a spokesperson with the MPD said a suspect had been detained for questioning, but his identity wasn’t being released. Earlier this week authorities said the evidence from the incident will be presented to a grand jury to determine if any charges will be filed.

Man accused of raping child multiple times over five years

Authorities says a Mobile man is in jail today after being charged with raping a minor over a period of five years in Eight Mile. Tavares LeJames Davis, 33, is accused of forcing a known juvenile into sexual contact beginning in 2009, when the “girl” was only 8 years old. Now 13, authorities say the victim was abused as recently as December, but it was stopped when Mobile County Deputies charged Davis with multiple sex crimes Dec. 30. Authorities say Davis was already being held at the Mobile Metro Jail for safekeeping by agencies in Mississippi and Baldwin County for charges unrelated to the alleged sex crimes. According to MCSO records, Davis is now being charged with sexual abuse of a child under the age of 12, second degree sexual abuse and first and second degree rape in the case.

Tavares LeJames Davis

Tavares LeJames Davis

Lori Myles, a spokesperson for the Mobile County Sheriff’s Office, said the victim was admitted to a local hospital Dec. 24. There, medical staff and members of the Mobile County Department of Human Resources alerted authorities to what they suspected to be signs of sexual abuse.

Myles confirmed that Davis was known to the victim, and said he’d confessed the sexual abuse to authorities during the investigation. An arraignment for Davis is scheduled Jan. 8 in Mobile district court.

Local man arrested for multiple sexual assaults

Mobile police officers believe they have a suspect responsible for the sexual assault of multiple juveniles in custody, the result of an ongoing investigation. Police arrested 22-year-old Daniel Rendon, of Mobile, Dec. 30 on two counts of first degree sexual abuse.

On Dec. 23 local authorities responded to a report of a sexual assault on Old Pascagoula Road after a juvenile female reported she and her sister, who had walked to a gas station near their residence, were approached by an unknown male driving a Ford Mustang. The young woman told authorities she and her sister were sexually assaulted before the suspect fled the scene.

On Dec. 30, a similar case was reported at a Chevron Station on Government Street around 12:30 a.m. There, a female victim advised an unknown male in a Ford Mustang parked near her vehicle and sexually assaulted her after she left the store. According to police, 12 officers responded to the scene and Rendon was identified as the suspect in both cases. He was taken into custody without incident.

Two behind bars for multiple fraud, identify theft charges

An alleged con man was put behind bars New Year’s Eve after an investigation by the Mobile Police Department led authorities to James Michael Newburn, 34, who’s charged with multiple counts of theft by deception and identity theft.

By the numbers, Newburn is charged with 21 counts of fraudulent use of a credit card, second degree theft of property, identity theft and operating a scheme on Craigslist to defraud others.

Newburn is currently on bond for theft by deception charges in Mobile County — the result of selling electronics on Craigslist to a victim, but delivering a wrapped up rock and other worthless objects instead.

Ashley Anne Fairchild, 34, was also arrested and charged with 17 counts fraudulent use of a credit card in connection with the case.

During the investigation, additional victims were discovered to have been deceived by Newburn. Anyone who believes they may be a victim of the suspect is encouraged to contact Mobile police at 251-208-7211 or the Fourth Precinct at 251-208-1300.