Mobile Firefighters responded to the first of three house fires at approximately 1:53 a.m. Thursday morning.
Firefighters encountered heavy fire and smoke upon arrival to the scene at 2422 Elsevier Street..
Both occupants escaped without apparent injuries. One of the occupants told Mobile Fire-Rescue investigators that his female pit bull woke him up and alerted him to the fire enabling him to escape out a window. Unfortunately the dog did not escape the fire. Her puppy is missing.
The fire appears to have originated in the living room-dining room area and appears to have been caused by a space heater.
The house was totaled with a damage estimate of approximately $40,000.
Engines 12, 14, 23; truck 17; rescue 14 and District Chief Steve Zirlott responded to the call.
The Bureau of Fire Prevention is conducting the investigation.
This page is available to subscribers. Click here to sign in or get access.
It looks like you are opening this page from the Facebook App. This article needs to be opened in the browser.
iOS: Tap the three dots in the top right, then tap on "Open in Safari".
Android: Tap the Settings icon (it looks like three horizontal lines), then tap App Settings, then toggle the "Open links externally" setting to On (it should turn from gray to blue).