How does someone rehabilitate a company’s reputation after a former owner is arrested for street-level drug distribution? Why try at all?
In this episode of Lagniappe’s Real Deal Podcast, host Ron Sivak examines the underbelly of black-market pharmaceutical distribution in Prichard, Alabama.
In 2015, new owner of Caffey’s Pharmacy – retired pharmacist Ken Smith – stepped into a steaming pile of business mess and yet, in 18 months, has managed to return it to respectability by reinstating a much needed, ethical medical service for North Mobile communities.
Also in the Rumour Mill segment, Ron and mix master Johnny G. rely on in-studio guests to discuss possible movies being shot in and around the Port City as well as maybe the biggest apartment complex to built downtown in 25 years possibly financed by Chinese investors or aliens.
This “criminal” flavored episode examines:
• A Lagniappe recap of the documented 2014 arrest of former Caffey’s Pharmacy owner pharmacist Don Scacliff’s allegedly illegally distributing a street-level narcotics
• New owner Ken Smith’s reasons behind clawing and scratching to put the devastated company back on it’s feet
• The origins behind “Purple Drank” (promethazine laced cough syrup) as well as other illegally distributed pharmaceuticals popular in the local black market.
• Tales of other area arrests, such as an alleged “Maserati and Ferrari buying contest” scam between crooked pain management doctors writing phony pharmaceutical prescriptions at a clip of one every three minutes
• Stereotypes about media, journalist’s obligations on news coverage and basic lessons about crisis public relations illustrated in a real life scenario
• Why customers should consider shopping at local pharmacies over the big box chains and the considerations
• Future local expert guests sought for the Real Deal to provide insights into legalities behind selling fake drugs and the proper pronunciation of “Purple Drank”
Lagniappe’s Real Deal Podcast is produced in collaboration with Deep Fried Studios.
For more Real Deal local business info check out LagniappeMobile.com or grab a FREE Lagniappe paper on stands now. Thanks for listening and keep Mobile funky.
This page is available to subscribers. Click here to sign in or get access.
It looks like you are opening this page from the Facebook App. This article needs to be opened in the browser.
iOS: Tap the three dots in the top right, then tap on "Open in Safari".
Android: Tap the Settings icon (it looks like three horizontal lines), then tap App Settings, then toggle the "Open links externally" setting to On (it should turn from gray to blue).