If you’re looking for new digs and want to help a local cultural outfit, Church Hill Apartments (1111 Church St.) in Oakleigh might be an answer. The newly renovated complex has a deal where new apartments rented before May 31 can result in a donation to Mobile Opera from Ole Bay Realty.
For more information, call 844-210-7184.
Never too late to learn at MMoA
Art classes are a fixture at the Mobile Museum of Art, running throughout the year and providing ample opportunity for adults and children alike. An array of disciplines and crafts will be taught throughout early summer.
• Lydia Host and Angie King will teach Figurative Clay Sculpture; Tuesday, June 6, through Friday, June 9, in three-hour classes beginning at 10 a.m. Classes will feature a live model. If you register by May 22, you can get an early bird price.
• Angie King will teach Creating a Clay Building; Tuesday, June 6, through Friday, June 9, 5:30-8 p.m. A special rate is offered for those registering by May 22.
• King and Elizabet Elliott will teach Weaving on a Lap Loom; Wednesday, June 28, 5:30-8 p.m.
• Lydia Host will teach Beginning Watercolor; Wednesday, July 5, through Friday, July 7, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Some supplies are included; the rest will be provided by the participant as per the instructor supply list.
• Matthew Thompson will teach Expanded Tools for Drawing; Monday, July 17, through Friday, July 21, 1-4 p.m. The course focuses on transforming photographic images into large-scale drawing through tools such as grids and projectors. The class will work up to a 4-by-4-foot drawing. A supply list will be provided upon enrollment.
• Aubrey Edwards will teach Digital Photography Techniques; Saturday, July 22, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. The class will provide an introduction to shooting on manual mode, exposure elements and internal light meter. There will be an in-class lecture, a walking tour with shooting and critique.
These are just some of the classes offered. Full descriptions and pricing can be found at mobilemuseumofart.com.
Also, remember classes in MMoA’s Summer Art Camp 2017 for ages 8-11 and ages 12 and up begin June 12. Parents may enroll with their child in the 12-and-up classes.
A registration form and full description of the curriculum can be found at mobilemuseumofart.com.
MAC grant deadline looms
Mobile Arts Council is offering four $1,000 grants to individuals or organizations working in any medium. The funds may be used for special projects or operating support.
Organizations should show a consistent track record of high achievement, public service and managerial competency. Individual recipients can use funds for new art, to improve skills or to enhance their careers.
Applicants must be a MAC member. Deadline for applications is Friday, June 2, at 5 p.m. The application form and more information can found at mobilearts.org or obtained by calling 251-432-9796.
This page is available to our local subscribers. Click here to join us today and get the latest local news from local reporters written for local readers. The best deal is found by clicking here. Check it out now.
Already a member of the Lagniappe family? Sign in by clicking here