As the time ticks down until Mayor-elect Sandy Stimpson takes over the city’s helm from Mayor Sam Jones Nov. 4, there have been at least three more personnel decisions made within the last week.
Sources have confirmed the incoming administration told three Jones’ appointees Oct. 15 they would not be part of the Stimpson administration. According to sources, who wished to remain anonymous, Executive Director of Cultural & Civic Development Bobby Bostwick, Executive Director of Administrative Services and Community Affairs Division Barbara Drummond and Jones’ executive assistant Donna Mitchell will not be working for the city once Stimpson takes the mayor’s seat.
Bostwick and Drummond organized and planned BayFest. Drummond was also instrumental in many other key city events such as the MoonPie Drop and Fourth of July. She also acted as Jones’ spokesperson.
When contacted by Lagniappe, Drummond kept mum on the issue.
“I’m keeping my options open,” she said. “Some may think my loyalty lies to something other than the city of Mobile and that’s not true.”
Bostwick did not return calls before publication.
Mitchell has held many roles in Jones’ administration and political committee. She not only served as his executive assistant, but also was the “liaison” between his office and the now defunct Office of Strategic Initiatives.
Mitchell also served as Jones’ business manager for his political campaigns. Her most high-profile involvement revolved around thousands of dollars in purchases from Sam’s Club for the campaign, some of which was turned out to be personal items.
Mitchell was also involved the issues surrounding trips taken by the Mobile Police Department Explorers over the past few years. A number of police and city workers and their children went on the federally funded trips and questions concerning the legality of that continue to dog the department. Mitchell attended at least two trips and was also responsible for funding several of the trips under the federal Weed & Seed program she administered.
Stimpson’s Chief of Staff Colby Cooper confirmed he contacted three people, but did not say whom.
“The Mayor-elect asked me to make contact with a few non-merit appointed individuals in the current administration to give them the courtesy notification that they will not be part of his administration. It is premature to comment further out of respect for these individuals who have honorably served the city of Mobile,” he said in a statement.
“Additionally, unless these individuals were to resign on their own volition, any personnel decision or action by our administration does not take effect until after the Mayor-elect is sworn in and becomes the appointing authority.
“In the mean time, the Mayor-elect is busy assembling his team and identifying the appropriate organizational structure that will work to make Mobile the safest, most business- and family-friendly city in America by 2020.”
This page is available to subscribers. Click here to sign in or get access.
It looks like you are opening this page from the Facebook App. This article needs to be opened in the browser.
iOS: Tap the three dots in the top right, then tap on "Open in Safari".
Android: Tap the Settings icon (it looks like three horizontal lines), then tap App Settings, then toggle the "Open links externally" setting to On (it should turn from gray to blue).